Moss Egger

Alchemist Farm Moss Eggers are coming back for 2024

most-eggerWe brought this beautiful and unique line of layers out for sale in 2019 and were overwhelmed by the positive response we received from them. They are given their name for the color of the moss that grows on the oak trees on our land. Not quite green, not quite brown, with interesting flecking and matte feel over the shell of the egg. These chickens provide a fun color to give more depth to your daily egg collecting.

The 2023 group of Moss Eggers has merged with our 2021 group of Coco Eggers to create hens that are laying the unique moss green as well as matte brown like the image below. The 2022 line of moss eggers lay all sorts of earth tones found in a forest hens have an 80% chance of laying a green egg and a 20% chance of laying a hazel brown egg. A group of these birds will lay a stunning and dynamic basket all on their own, each egg being a deep rich saturated color.

Our moss eggers are one of our few breeds that will lay eggs with a gorgeous thick bloom over the top giving the green eggs the illusion of being silver or grey and the brown eggs the illusion of purple or pink.

If you are looking for a for sure bet on green colored eggs, go for our olive eggers. Olive eggers will lay 100% green in a slightly lighter shade then the moss eggers and a darker shade then the sage eggers. 🙂

Quick Breed Stats

Egg Color: Mossy Greens and Mossy Browns

Cosmetic Egg Bloom: Can sometimes have a bloom making the eggs look a totally different shade of silver. Every egg laid has its natural protective bloom

Egg Size: Larger than standard

Egg Texture: matte and smooth.

Egg Production During Spring and Summer: high roughly 5-6 eggs a week.

Meat Production: duel purpose, both males and female have some meat on them.

Heat Tolerance: moderate, these are slightly larger birds that need shelter from extreme heat

Cold Tolerance: very high

Disposition: sweet, communicative, laid back, curious.

Weeks to Maturity: 22

Free Range Ability: high, males are always on the lookout for predators. Females run to shelter if the rooster sounds the predator alarm.

Likelihood They Will Want To Hatch Eggs: moderate

Large, docile, friendly, these are some robust birds that can be used for duel purpose if you are looking to close the loop on your protein sources and grow your own chicken for meat.

Extremely climate resilient, they take high heat and low lows, with the ability to thrive in both snow and desert conditions. If you live in an area of temperature extremes these birds are an excellent match for you.



most-egger-4This group is not able to be sexed upon hatch, each chick is sold straight run meaning we cannot guarantee you female chicks.

Straight Run Chicks $17.00 each

alchemist_farmMoss Egger