How to Order Chicks Online
Ordering chicks online is a great way to get the breed of chicken you want, when you want it. Skip the line at your local feed store with this method of bringing new chickens into your life. With a little research you can end up with an incredible flock that you will enjoy for years to come. There are many reputable hatcheries (like us!) that ship chicks across the country, and with a little planning, you can have your new chicks arrive healthy and happy. It is important to make sure you know what kind of practices you are supporting when you select what hatchery you would like to order from. We are a no kill humane hatchery meaning that none of the male chicks are killed upon hatch as they are at large scale hatcheries. If that is something that is important to you it is good to do your homework before purchasing at hatcheries other than ours!
Here are a few things to keep in mind when ordering chicks online:
- Choose a reputable hatchery that aligns with your values. The power of your dollar is huge, support folks who are treating animals and the planet right! There are many hatcheries out there, so it’s important to do your research and choose one that has a good reputation. Read online reviews and talk to other chicken keepers to get recommendations.
- Order your chicks early. Chicks are in high demand, so it’s important to order them early, especially if you have your heart set on a particular breed. Many hatcheries have a waiting list, so it’s best to order as soon as you know you’re ready for chicks. We offer chicks from February through October each year so you have a nice long window of opportunity to order though us.
- Provide a warm, safe place for your chicks to arrive. We recommend reading this guide to get you started. When your chicks arrive, they’ll need a warm, safe place to stay. A brooder is a great option for this. You can either buy a brooder or make your own. Just make sure it’s big enough for your chicks to move around comfortably and that it has a heat lamp to keep them warm.
- Feed your chicks a high-quality chick starter feed. Chicks need a lot of protein to grow and develop properly. Make sure you feed them a high-quality chick starter feed that is formulated for their age.
- Keep your chicks clean and dry. Chicks are susceptible to disease, so it’s important to keep them clean and dry. Change their bedding regularly and make sure they have access to fresh water at all times.
- Socialize your chicks. Chicks are social creatures, so it’s important to socialize them from a young age. This will help them become friendly and comfortable around people.
With a little planning and care, ordering chicks online can be a great way to add to your flock. Just be sure to do your research and choose a reputable hatchery. And most importantly, have fun!
Need some help with your supplies to get yourself started? This amazon list has you covered from the time your baby chicks first arrive all the way up to their senior years.
Happy chicken keeping!