3 Class Package
Beginning Chicken Keeping Class Outline
- All about the egg, store bought vs. pasture raised (we will crack a store bought egg vs. pastured egg side by side to show signs of nutrition, freshness and fertility)
- Overview of breeds of chickens, choosing the right breeds for your back yard be it breeds for pets, strong egg producers, meat producers, or dual purpose. (A handout covering all of these breeds will be provided)
- Purchasing chicks.
- Brooding chicks (including all equipment needed).
- Building and or purchasing a predator proof coop with a chickens well being and optimal comfort in mind.
- Equipment for feeding and watering your chickens.
- Correct feed for the various stages of your chickens life, where to get it and how to properly store it.
- Proper bedding for your coop, how to clean your coop and sustainable reuse of the bedding from the coop.
- Setting yourself up for success in how you relate to your flock and daily interactions.
- Normal chicken behavior vs. basic signs of illness.
- Collection and proper storage of eggs.
- Class questions
Advanced Chicken Keeping Class Outline
- Home breeding and incubation.
- Overview of various incubators on the market.
- Proper incubation technique, what temperature and humidity to be aiming for. (A handout will be provided covering this).
- Incubating with a machine vs. a broody hen, health benefits of both methods.
- Selecting eggs to incubate, testing for fertility and viability. (We will crack an egg open to show signs of fertility).
- Candling of eggs
- Feather and egg color genetics of breeds, how to create your own breed (A handout will be provided with charts for easy reference).
- Holistic health management of the flock.
- Setting up proper biosecurity and how to maintain it.
- Proper wing trimming technique
- Signs and symptoms of sickness, overview of various common illnesses.
- What to keep in the home veterinary kit.
- Treatments for common ailments.
- Class questions
Quail Keeping and Processing Class
- How to properly incubate and hatch quail eggs
- Brooding of quail, setting yourself up for success
- Proper housing, feeding, protection from predators
- Group harmony
- Proper nutrition for egg vs meat production
- What to keep in your home veterinary kit
- Humane and swift processing of a quail with Ryan Duval